Friday, February 18, 2011

Cookies and fudge ;)

My husband and I are coming to the end of our 1st year in South Korea and we are changing schools. So we thought it would be good to give some small thank you gifts to our teachers. AND what better gift to receive, other than cookies and fudge (Koreans have NO idea what fudge is.)

I found this really good cocoa fudge cookie recipe.
Here is what mine looked like:


The fudge recipe's origin is a bit of a mystery. I'd like to say I made it up - BUT I didn't. I might have found it in an Afrikaans recipe book or maybe my Home Economics teacher gave it to me (which she probably found in an Afrikaans recipe book;)
Although I don't really post recipes on this blog, I just link to them, I'm going to share this INCREDILICIOUS recipe with you. 
Here is its review, given by my favourite food connoisseur, with a refined palate:
         
"Best fudge I've ever eaten."
-Greg Boy (holder of the title : Most amazing husband in the universe)

Condensed Milk Fudge
800g (3 1/2 cups) white sugar
250g (1 cup) butter
1 cup milk
1 cup condensed milk
10ml vanilla essence

In a large pot: simmer the sugar, butter and milk until the sugar dissolves.
Stir in the cond. milk and boil for about 40minutes.
Stir continually.
Remove from stove and stir in vanilla.
Pour into a shallow baking tray (aprox. 30cm by 25cm)


Just a quick fudge story - when I was in grade 5 there was this girl called Amelda and she used to make fudge and sell it at school. It was the BEST fudge. At breaktime it would cause a stampede. Some other kids started selling stuff too and so the school brought the hawking to an abrupt stop - along with abolishing my fudge supplier. I was left with withdrawal symptoms and a fudge shaped hole in my heart. SOOO I have dreamt of that fudge often and I compare all fudge with Amelda's fudge.  I think the recipe above would make Amelda proud.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sherri B. said...

I love your fudge story and it sounds like Amelda would be very proud!

Unknown said...

Very cool post Gabi!! Gonna try out your recipe on my wifey! Hope you guys are doing well, we really miss you here!!! c,")